My Choice - The Video

So my Facebook page was filled with people sharing the My Choice video featuring Deepika Padukone, for Vogue. I did not have a look at time for some time, then I thought, if so many people have shared it, might as well look at it (I like Deepika, so that helped)

I liked the video and instead of sharing the video, I shared the words of the video on my FB. I did not over analyse it or tried to search for hidden meaning. Some of the lines did seem a little too much for me, but then it was all a part of the whole content - poem or whatever it can be referred to.

This video has been made in the same lines of the "Ladke Rote Nahi" EMPOWER women videos. I loved that video too and it has a strong message to be delivered to our Patriarchal society. Similarly, this video too is for that male dominance which rules our society. We still have Bachelor Politicians telling us what women should wear, how many children they should give birth to and how women are responsible for getting raped.

There was video released by a guy in reply to this video stating things of "MY CHOICE" by the man. I agree to that too, but it is mainly for the women who are too feminist, who actually consider themselves to be far more superior than men, rather than equals.

After all the criticism it received, I re-read the wordings of the video, and tried to understand what was so wrong about it. Yes, Sex out of marriage, should be the same for a man or a woman. Your choice or not - It is cheating! But, if you look at "our" society, men have gotten out of it easily than a woman can. This is not the elite society, where this might be common, but the general population in general.

The audience as well as the content of the video is unfortunately the elite or the "classes" and the divide in that society between man and woman is not much. Empowerment of women is required at the "masses" level, where this video will not make any sense. Maybe certain things have been taken too far in this video. So there is a gap, a gap in what you want to say and to who you are saying it to! Maybe Homi Adajania, should look into this again.

If it has to be put under "EMPOWER", Vogue India should stick to making videos like - Ladke Rote Nahi, which makes sense across - classes as well as masses. 

Comments

Popular Posts