One Year Sabbatical




I plan to take a break or lets call it a sabbatical from work. Why? Because I want to find myself. Search for some answers. I would have been the last person to day something like this, but today I want it. In today's competitive world, we don't have time to take a break for even a day - without some repercussions or 10 things to worry about - so forget one whole year! Anyway, who in their right mind would take a break or create a gap of a year in his / her career? Sometime back I would have called it a waste of one year oh his life. But now I know better - NOTHING GOES WASTE!
I was made to realise by a close friend of how this one year's time would seem so miniscule in the long run. And how if this time off really brought some perspective in your life, your future can be much better and so definitely worth it.
Taking time off helps us in realizing our dreams, in giving us a chance to ponder over things, following our heart, doing something different. Giving a shot to those things which we dreamt we would be doing, when we were actually sitting at our office desks. Who knows this time off may actually show us some direction, something which we love doing and could actually end up doing for a living.
We live in a world which has no dearth of chances or opportunities. There is nothing that we cannot do. All types of courses, jobs under the sun are open to us. In all avenues. The internet has made the world a very small place. All I need to do is to brace myself to get used to doing nothing for sometime and most importantly not getting paid. I think that is the major drawback of this time off. But if you have worked your ass off and done some intelligent savings, you may not have to worry much. Part time work also pays quite well. And hobbies might turn into money too.
So I think it wouldn't be that bad a decision. I see more pros than cons here. I just need to analyze at what point I should actually go ahead with this. In case I intend to return to the same place or world which I leave, I think the timing of my exit would matter...at least a little.

- 18 May 2011

3 months that I wrote this, and I am still working at the same place I used to. I don't have any such plans at this moment, but lets see where I am another 3 months down the line.

Comments

  1. I would suggest a few month's sabbatical. And travel. Meeting new people in a new place will open up avenues you never thought existed.

    ~Peetu

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts