What's in a Name?



A lot. It is the first level of identity. I love my name to the point of sounding narcissistic. Am grateful to my parents for choosing the name they have given me. It is tradition for a girl to change her name after she gets married. Like changing her last name wasn't enough! I am grateful for having met someone who did not believe in such stuff. I have retained my maiden name, last name including.
When it came to naming our son, we had a hard time. We had started to list down names during pregnancy, but weren't able to zero down to one name till after he was born and almost a few days before the naming ceremony.



We wanted a unique name, of course, and it should not be common and have a nice meaning as well. As if this criteria wasn't enough, I wanted it to sound nice, read nice along with the last name and did not want anyone in my extensive friend list to have that name either! Phew!
So finally after much deliberation we zeroed down to Rihaan, which meant a prince or destroyer of enemies. I loved the name and did not know anyone of that name either.

Slowly I started hearing names which sounded similar. So in my society, we have baby boys born within 5 months of each other named - Vivaan, Vihaan, Kayaan and Rihaan!
So there burst my bubble. Then I heard of other names of the next generation from my friends - Rishaan, Ruhaan, Reyansh, Kiaan etc. So all are lovely names but so much similar sounding ones! I think names have a phase too. There was a phase with Aryan and Arnav as well.
(Anyone with kids with these names, absolutely no offence meant)

Sometimes I feel I should have listened to the husband and named him Amit or Ramesh. Cause I don't think this generation has used these names at all! Again no offence to anyone with names. I have some close friends with these names ;-)



Another thing which bothers the hell out of me is misspelt names. How hard is it to get the name right?! Right? Rihaan has been referred to as Rihan, Rehan, Reehan, Rehaan! ! Even after I use the right spelling, it's the same.. Arggh! How many times should a person be corrected?
I will be told that it doesn't matter, but it does! To me! Get the name right! I don't think am over reacting, am I?

Comments

Popular Posts